Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Spag Bog and our menu.

It doesn't look that great.....but it was delicious!
We don't often make Spag Bog here. The kids don't really like it?? But tonight, it was quick, easy and I didn't have to think to much about it!  I checked out Quirkys recipe and mostly followed it.
I made these changes..
  • I used minced beef
  • no zucchini, used green capsicum and dried herbs
  • I added the semi dried tomatoes in the same step as the veg so they got all chopped up. 
  • no olives, no red wine
  • I added extra water because it all seemed to thick to stir about and cook properly, and I still stopped it and gave it a mix with my trusty spatula a couple of times
  • I also cooked it for an extra 15 minutes and threw in some baby spinach that needed to be used.
 The verdict was that we should defiantly have it again!! Lucky because it made the full 2 litres, which left about half for another meal!!



I was asked recently to share how I do my meal planning. It has made a big difference to the way I shop and makes things run much smoother! It also makes it easier to think in bulk when buying.

Firstly we all decide what we would like to eat for the next 2 weeks. Everyone gets a say and I make sure the kids all get at least one thing they have suggested. I also ask for suggestions for their lunch boxes too.
As I write the meals down I also write what I need to buy to make that meal. I have one column for Aldi, one for Safeway. By keeping it all in the one notebook I can use it to look back on when I need some inspiration and carry it to the supermarket with me. Sounds a big daggy, but it works a treat! 
The notebook hangs about in the kitchen so when we are deciding whats for tea, we look at the book and see what the options are and I can plan ahead if need be.......
Here's this fortnights menu plan
  • Meatloaf with mash and veg                                              
  • Steak Pie and Scalloped Potatoes and veg
  • Pumpkin Soup and bread
  • Veg Curry and Rice
  • Honey Mustard Chicken with rice
  • Chicken Soup and bread
  • Beef and Blackbean Stirfry
  • Risotto
  • Pasta of some sort
  • Mexican beans with poached eggs on toast
  • Muesli Bars
  • Lemon Slice
  • Apricot Balls
  • Fruit Loaf
  • Sausage rolls
Are you the meal planning type? or the winging it type??

No comments:

Post a Comment