Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

5 Seed Bread

 A lazy Sunday here....it began with the girls making us breakfast in bed and that set the tone for the rest of the day...Nothing impressive achieved, movies watched, plenty of baking done..and that's about it!

One of the things I baked today was the 5 seed bread from the EDC. It was an interesting adventure! 
To say that I love baking bread is an understatement, I have been doing it for about 15 years so I feel pretty confident when I get out the yeast ;) 
But somewhere in the middle of this recipe I thought 
'This is never going to work!'
My first problem was, there was a large amount of water in comparison to the flour, the second issue was that it was too much for the bowl and had trouble mixing ( I ended up getting in there with a spatula)  third problem was when it cooked it was WAY to big for my largest bakers tin.
But you know what? It tasted pretty damn good, and the texture was lovely even with all those seeds. 

So to save you and me and our thermies I will write the ingredients out here at 70% of the original recipe and I think that will solve the problem of the over loaded bowl and too big for the tin.


  • 350gm of water
  • 2 tsp of yeast ( or a smidge less, whatever!)
  • 350gm of bakers flour
  • 3/4 tsp of salt, just roughly is fine
  • 35 gm of rolled oats
  • 20gms each of sesame seeds, linseeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds
  • 20 gms of honey
  • 20 gms of olive oil
Normally I wouldn't use olive oil in a sandwich type loaf (butter all the way!) reserving it for focaccia or pizza dough but in this case it helped keep the bread strong enough to handle all those seeds.

So, give it a go if your into a grainy bread. Its as good as any you will buy (probably better) and a whole lot cheaper!


No comments:

Post a Comment