Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Apricot Bites & Butter Chicken

Well, I was planning on making Cherry Clafoutis and telling you all about it.  But alas a lack of cream put a halt to those plans,  only after I opened the jar of cherries of course!  



So instead I'll share a couple of successes that I have saved up ...
My kids really, really love those little apricot bites that you pay a gazillion dollars for at the supermarket. They are def a sometimes treat, so when I came across a recipe that claimed to be just like them but healthier I had to give it a shot. The fact that they only have 3 ingredients is a mega bonus.
All you do is add 300gm dried apricots, 50gm dates & 100gm of coconut to your thermomix and whiz it on sp 9 for 30 seconds,  but I recommend getting to sp 9 over the space of about 10 seconds. 
What you do with it then is up to you. You could roll into balls the cover in extra coconut (or caster sugar like the shop bought ones), you could press it into a dish lined with baking paper,  refrigerate and chop into bars... This time I made the bars then cut them into little squares.  They went down well with everyone and made a nice little treat in the lunchboxes!



I also went in search of a tastier/spicier butter chicken recipe. We have had the EDC one quite a few times but thought possibly we could do better.
I found this one and gave it a go. It was OK,  the flavor was good although a bit spicy for the kids.  Mind you I couldn't find my teaspoon measure (it was hiding in the bicarb jar!) So I was winging it a bit with the spices. What I missed was the texture of the edc version, which uses cashews to make the sauce thick and luscious.  So next time I will try the spices from the new recipe (minus some of that chilli!) with all the other stuff from the old one.

I have also found a recipe for cashew cream, which can be a replacement for normal cream. . ... which will be great.  I'll let you know how that goes. 
I am off to figure out something for dessert that requires no cream. .... Maybe salted chocolate custard?
... mmmm! 

Happy Cooking!

*Feel free to share any new recipes in the comments or perhaps make a request!*




No comments:

Post a Comment